Action for the Wild offers internships on the UmPhafa Reserve
UmPhafa Private Nature Reserve offers internships to people who have a passion and an interest to learn about African Wildlife Conservation and Reserve Management. Whether you are studying some form of Nature Conservation or would just like to have the experience of a lifetime our internship is for you.
The internships are by run by our Reserve Management Team which ensures that interns are mentored by our most senior and experienced staff members. It is a fantastic and rare opportunity to work alongside a team with many years of experience and gain creditable work experience whilst knowing that your contribution is having a direct influence on the wellbeing of the flora and fauna on the reserve.
Competition for placements is very high and there are limited placements each month. Interviews are held at Colchester Zoo or by phone or Skype once an application has been completed. The minimum stay is 4 weeks and placements are available year round. After successful application, scheduled dates of employment with be allocated based on the applicant’s preferred month of commencement.
What's Included: - Pre - departure support
- Airport pick-up and drop off (Durban King Shaka airport)
- Long term experienced staff
- Safe and basic accommodations (usually shared)
- WiFi at Elworthy House
- All meals
- Welcome induction and location orientation
- All necessary project equipment and materials
- Research training
- Wildlife identification techniques
- Teamwork experience
- 24-hour in-country support
- Confidential professional reference (where requested)
What's Not Included: - Return flights to Durban King Shaka airport
- Medical and travel insurance
- Visa costs (if necessary)
- Personal kit
- Extra local excursions and personal shopping
Action for the Wild is a non-profit organisation and therefore internships must be self-supported. A contribution of £1220 for stays of four weeks with an additional £620 per four weeks thereafter will be required. For more information please download the Conservation Internship Information Pack by clicking the pdf link below or apply now.